Thursday, January 26, 2012

Reliving a Brilliant Moment From Mirrors (2008)

I recently read a book about Asian horror films entitled, appropriately enough, Asian Horror.  Written by one Andy Richards, Asian Horror is a slim but serviceable volume that details the history of the horror film in Eastern Asia.  After reading the book I jotted down my opinions of it.  As my opinion still stands I shall simply cannibalize my old writing and quote my initial reactions to the book here, "An informative (albeit brief) primer on Asian horror movies, with an emphasis on Japan's horror output. While some of the chapters could have used some beefing up, I generally enjoyed this title and found it to be a useful summary of the history of the horror film in East Asia. And hey, it nudged me into checking out some movies I wouldn't have otherwise, which is always a plus. So in summary it's not a definitive guide, but this book serves as a decent starting point to those looking to learn about the genre."

With my opinions on the book out of the way let me explain the real reason why I'm posting today.  I am posting because one of the latter chapters in Asian Horror, the one about Hollywood remakes of Asian horror films, reminded me of a sublime moment of gore from an otherwise mediocre film.  My friends, I am speaking of the jaw dislocation scene from the 2008 film Mirrors.  

Mirrors is an American remake of the Korean film Into the Mirror.  I've never seen Into the Mirror, but in this case that's alright as it is tangential to the point I want to make.  While I can't comment on the original film I can say with confidence that Mirrors was a mediocre movie at best.  It did however contain one death so outrageous and bloody that the price of admission was (almost) justified.  Those who have seen the film will already know of which scene I speak, but for those in the dark I will explain the outrageous brilliance of the moment.  As  mirrors contain supernatural and malevolent powers in the world of this film, in this scene a woman's reflection rips its own jaw off, causing the flesh and blood victim's lower jaw to dislocate from her face and hang limply in the blood soaked bathwater.  But a picture's worth a thousand words, so rather than just read my description of the death watch it here (those with a weak constitution need not apply, obviously).  

I'm sorry, but this scene is just too brilliant.  There are so many reasons why I love it, but its primary appeal lies in the absurdity of its premise and the unflinching way in which the bloody aftermath is shown in all its glory.  You gotta love that limp tongue dangling from the wreckage.  That's a classic touch.  Also how about those crunchy sound effects that emanate from our victim's shattered jaw?  It's all wonderfully grisly, bloody and explicit, yet the outrageous premise that the kill is based upon lends the scene a dark sense of humor and absurdity.

In conclusion, thank you to Asian Horror for reminding me of this wonderfully random and gratuitous moment from an otherwise forgettable film.

2 comments:

  1. As the Brits would say, that was brill! I loved how she rent her own jaw. I finally got past the filter. My Google Blogger account can be used YouTube.

    I wish I picked up one of the copies of Asian horror. It seems like a good introduction as you put it in your review.

    I really loved your commentary on this video. The backwater running with blood was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, don't you HATE when stuff gets tagged as 18+ on Youtube? It's so arbitrary! If you want to read the Asian Horror book you can just borrow my copy next time you come 'round to PGH (so long as you return the other stuff, but that's a given).

    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete