Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ramblings on Writer's Block

Hi how's it going?  Actually don't answer that, let me tell you how life is working out for me instead.  Remember back a few months ago when I did that post entitled New Year's Resolutions which was about (obviously) my goals for the year?  Well I figured it was time to update y'all on how that stuff was working out for me.  To make a long story short what you need to know is that I'm on pace with everything except for my blog postings.  In regards to my blog I must say that I am dreadfully behind on my posting quota.  And now to reiterate that point with a needless amount of extraneous details: I'm 20% done consuming my book and film quota for this year (I've watched 101 films and read 10 books this year so far), yet I am only an abysmal 10% through with my goal of posting 100 blog entries in 2012.  Which means I've got to put the pedal to the metal, so to speak, if I want to finish my blog posting goal for the year.

Why should this concern you, my reader(s)?  Well, if I'm gonna keep posting and getting my count up then that means I'm going to have to become less particular about what kind of stuff I post to my blog.  Truth be told I felt for my friend El Lobo when he described going through a writer's block on his blog in his latest post.  In the immortal words of Juan del Lobo, "Hey, sorry I haven't been posting. I was distracted by a new Tumblr account, which didn't turn out to be as fun as I thought it would be. Also, I was suffering the consequences of a mild mental disturbance, to quote Middlemarch, in that I had a bad bout of writer's block."  Yes, my friend, I am with you one hundred percent.  I too have been neglecting my precious Zombie Baby in favor of other pursuits, some of which are rather legitimate (such as writing my midterms, launching Zombie Baby's sister Tumblr blog, reading a motherfucking book or two), and others which are possibly less legit (for example, consuming copious amounts of TAB and watching Danity Kane videos from back in the day).  And yet what all this comes down to is that I just haven't been posting recently.  And when I get out of the posting groove I tend to get rusty and develop a writer's block a la Guido Contini in Nine.

Nine

And being that I've established quotas for myself I'm just going to need to push past this block and start throwing stuff against the wall to see if anything sticks.  Which means that I might start posting more weird, pseudo-posts like this one about how I can't think of anything to write about (yes, I really have just spent 400+ words to communicate that I have nothing to say...see what I did there?)  But don't get me wrong now I do have a handful of ideas for future posts, it's just that a lot of my ideas are kind of lame.  I mean, I'm not gonna start posting some irredeemably vapid shit about award season fashion don'ts or what have you, but I will let you know that I may be posting some more conceptually tepid material.  But it's for my own good.  I feel that it's all too easy to avoid writing by simply telling myself that I have nothing to say, but that's not true. Again to refute this claim I'd like to direct your attention to this post, in which I have devoted a hefty block of text to a virtually non-existent subject.

Forgive me for rambling.  What I mean to say is simple: in the future I would like to take an active stand against writer's block and to be a more productive blogger.  And let's start here.  BANG, another post to add to the finished pile.  See?  Who says writing needs coherence and purpose?

2 comments:

  1. This was humorous, well written and layered with references, especially that first paragraph! Read a book, read a book, read a mother fucking book! Also, thank you for the shout out. This writer's block has been torture.

    "I mean, I'm not gonna start posting
    some irredeemably vapid shit." I couldn't agree more! I think this has dissuaded me from posting more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Also, thank you for the shout out." - no prob, I always try to link back to Holiday when applicable.

    "I think this has dissuaded me from posting more." - NO! This was not my intention! Please, if you want to and you can manage, keep posting away. Your posts always add color to my day and make my commuting breeze by. It's like a magazine written specifically for me and my inner narcissist enjoys it immensely.

    ReplyDelete