Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Stuff I Wanna See: Moonlight Mask

I was doing some browsing on Facebook when I saw the poster to your left. I was intrigued by the retro-coolness of the poster design as well as the inexplicable yet awesome outfits on display (the turban and sunglasses combo, the tidy 1950's hat and suit, the dude with the skull mask in the left hand corner, etc.) I love offbeat Japanese movies and this was one that I knew nothing about.

So I did a bit of exploring using the vast resources of the Internet and discovered that the poster in question was an advertisement for a film in the "Moonlight Mask" series. Moonlight Mask, apparently, was a Japanese superhero from the late 1950's. Wikipedia (which, granted, isn't the best source in the world, but my resources were limited here) describes Moonlight Mask's appearance as follows, "Decked out in white tights, white & red cape, white scarf, yellow gloves & boots, dark glasses, face cloth and Indian-style turban (pinned with a 'moon' ornament), Moonlight Mask is armed with a whip, two six-shooters, shuriken and moon-shaped boomerangs. He also rides a motorcycle." Moonlight Mask made his debut on television in 1958. A film trilogy was released in the same year, presumably to capitalize on the popularity of the property. The poster I've included in my post is for the second film in the series, Moonlight Mask - Duel to the Death in Dangerous Waters. The series was apparently revived a handful of times, by way of a 1970's anime series and a 1981 film. There also exists a parody of the franchise titled "Kekko Kamen", which follows a topless and pants-less masked superheroine who incapacitates her enemies by shoving her crotch into their faces (?!?!).

Anyhow, I'm getting off topic. The reason I posted this is because the old-school 1958 Midnight Mask stuff looks awesome (in a kitschy, campy way) and I'd love to watch it/learn more about it. Unfortunately, though, I'm having trouble finding info about the series in English. Are there any fanboys or girls who know where I could get my hands on a subtitled copy of the original 1950's TV episodes or movies? This looks like a piece of pop history that's too compelling to let slip by.

2 comments:

  1. I searched the web after reading this and unfortunately found only the anime, which I don't think would have quite the same appeal. I love the parody series with the nude woman using her vagina as a weapon! See, such bizarreness is why I love Japan! It seems like something Esther would use in an MV. I love the skull mask guy- kawaii. I love how you've turned me on to so many great Japanese movies. TGP is my favorite so far. I want to own it. I enjoy your blog's focus, mine is still not very concise...oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It seems like something Esther would use in an MV" - yes, like that anime montage she used during one of her concerts. When we saw that she included tentacle rape in the montage we flipped out!

    TGP is awesome.

    ReplyDelete